United Kingdom flag

As a small business owner in the UK, managing your energy bills is a crucial part of your operational responsibilities. Changes in tenancy, unexpected switches to new energy suppliers, and the challenge of affording energy bills can significantly impact your business. This comprehensive guide will walk you through the process of managing a Yu Energy change of tenancy, what to do if you’ve been switched to a new energy supplier without your agreement, and strategies for handling situations where your business can’t afford its energy bills. With Contend‘s AI-driven legal guidance, you’re never alone in navigating these complex issues.

Understanding Yu Energy Change of Tenancy

A change of tenancy (COT) occurs when the legal occupant of a property changes. For businesses, this could mean moving to a new location, acquiring a new property, or transferring ownership. It’s essential to manage this process effectively to ensure a smooth transition and avoid unnecessary complications with your energy supply.

Key Steps in Managing a Yu Energy Change of Tenancy

  1. Notify Your Energy Supplier: As soon as you’re aware of the change, contact Yu Energy. Providing advance notice can help prevent any disruption in your energy supply.
  2. Provide Necessary Documentation: Yu Energy will likely require documentation proving the tenancy change. This could include lease agreements, solicitor letters, or company registration documents.
  3. Final Meter Reading: Submit a final meter reading on the day of the changeover. This ensures you’re only billed for the energy your business has used.
  4. Settle Outstanding Bills: Ensure all outstanding bills are paid to avoid any issues with the final account settlement.
  5. New Contract Arrangements: Discuss new contract arrangements with Yu Energy or shop around for a new supplier if you’re moving to a new location.

Immediate Actions for Unagreed Supplier Switches

If you find your energy supplier has been switched without your agreement—a practice known as ‘slamming’—take immediate action:

  1. Contact Yu Energy: Inform them of the unauthorized switch. They can assist in investigating the issue.
  2. Gather Evidence: Compile any communications from or about the new supplier.
  3. Report the Issue: Contact the Energy Ombudsman or Citizens Advice for guidance and to report the problem.
How do I notify Yu Energy about my change of tenancy?

When Your Business Can’t Afford Its Energy Bills

Strategies for Managing High Energy Costs

  1. Review Your Energy Usage: Identify areas where you can reduce consumption. Simple changes, like energy-efficient lighting, can significantly reduce bills.
  2. Payment Plans: Contact Yu Energy to discuss setting up a payment plan. Most suppliers are willing to work with businesses to find a manageable payment solution.
  3. Government Support: Explore government grants and support schemes for businesses struggling with energy costs.
  4. Energy Efficiency Grants: Some organizations offer grants to help businesses become more energy-efficient and reduce their bills.

You can also get help and advice on the Business Debtline website.

Can my business qualify for energy efficiency grants?
Consumer: yu energy change of tenancy

Leveraging Contend for Legal Guidance

Navigating the complexities of energy contracts, tenancy changes, and disputes with suppliers can be daunting. Contend’s AI-powered legal assistance simplifies this process, offering clear, actionable advice tailored to your situation. Whether you’re dealing with a change of tenancy, an unexpected supplier switch, or concerns about affording your energy bills, Contend is here to help.

How Contend Can Assist

  • Personalized Advice: Receive guidance that’s specific to your business’s needs and situation.
  • Dispute Resolution: Get help in resolving disputes with energy suppliers efficiently.
  • Contract Review: Ensure your energy contracts are fair and meet your business’s needs with Contend’s expert review services.

You can find other ways to get help with your mental health on the Mind website.

How can I resolve my energy supplier dispute?


Managing energy matters, such as a Yu Energy change of tenancy or dealing with unexpected supplier switches, requires careful attention and prompt action. By following the steps outlined in this guide and utilizing Contend’s AI-driven legal expertise, you can navigate these challenges with confidence. Remember, in the complex world of business energy management, you’re not alone. Contend is here to provide the guidance and support you need to keep your business powered up without unnecessary stress.

Take Action with Contend: Ready to tackle your energy issues head-on? Chat now with Contend’s legal expert and take the first step towards resolving your energy concerns today.

For more info, check out some of our related articles:

Check if Contend can help you with your issue

Solve your legal question quickly
and easily with Contend.

This material is for general information only and does not constitute
tax, legal or any other form of advice. You should not rely on any
information contained herein to make (or refrain from making) any
decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your
own particular situation. Contend Inc is not regulated by the
Solicitor’s Regulation Authority.