United Kingdom flag

When relationships come to an end, the question of what happens to the family home can be one of the most challenging issues to resolve. Whether you were married or living together, understanding your rights and the legal differences can help you make informed decisions about your future. This guide aims to demystify matrimonial home rights in the UK, offering clear, actionable advice to those navigating the complexities of separation.

Introduction to Matrimonial Home Rights

The breakdown of a relationship is never easy, and the emotional turmoil is often compounded by the uncertainty surrounding the future of the family home. In the UK, matrimonial home rights play a crucial role in protecting the interests of spouses and civil partners during separation. But what exactly are these rights, and how do they differ for couples who were living together without getting married? This article delves into these questions, providing clarity and guidance. Additionally, we introduce Contend, your AI-powered legal assistant, designed to simplify legal complexities and offer personalized advice on matters just like this.

How do matrimonial home rights affect my separation?

Understanding Matrimonial Home Rights

Matrimonial home rights refer to the legal protections afforded to spouses and civil partners regarding the family home during separation or divorce. These rights ensure that an individual can remain in their home, regardless of who holds the title to the property. But how do these rights apply, and what are their limitations?

For Married Couples and Civil Partners

  1. Right to Occupy: Regardless of whose name is on the deed, both parties have the right to live in the matrimonial home until a divorce or separation agreement is finalized.
  2. Registration of Home Rights: The non-owning spouse can protect their right to live in the property by registering their home rights with the Land Registry. This prevents the owning spouse from selling or mortgaging the property without consent.
  3. Financial Responsibilities: Both parties remain responsible for the mortgage and other financial obligations related to the home, unless decided otherwise by a court. If you’re not married or in a civil partnership, you can ask the court to decide what happens to your home. The court will usually divide your home’s value between you according to the shares you own. If you have children, you might be able to ask the court to delay selling your home until your youngest child is 18. You’ll need legal help to do this – you can find a solicitor on the Resolution website.

For Unmarried Couples

Living together without marriage or a civil partnership, often referred to as cohabitation, presents a different legal situation. Unlike married couples, cohabiting partners do not automatically have home rights. Property ownership is determined by whose name is on the deed or tenancy agreement, making it crucial for unmarried couples to consider legal agreements like a cohabitation agreement to protect each party’s interests.

How can I register my home rights with the Land Registry?
Family: matrimonial home rights

Legal Differences: Marriage vs. Cohabitation

The distinction between being married and living together has significant legal implications, especially concerning the family home. Married couples and civil partners benefit from automatic home rights, while cohabiting couples do not have this safety net. For cohabitants, establishing a legal claim to the property can be challenging and often requires evidence of financial contribution to the home or an agreement that both parties intended to share ownership. You can find out what kind of joint ownership you have on GOV.UK.

Do I have a legal claim to my partner’s property?

Protecting Your Interests

Whether you’re married, in a civil partnership, or cohabiting, there are steps you can take to protect your interests in the family home:

  1. Legal Agreements: Consider a prenuptial agreement, postnuptial agreement, or cohabitation agreement to outline what should happen to the property in the event of separation.
  2. Joint Ownership: If purchasing a home together, ensure both names are on the deed. This provides equal rights and responsibilities towards the property.
  3. Document Contributions: Keep records of any financial contributions to the household, including mortgage payments, renovations, or improvements, as this can be crucial in establishing a claim to the property. If only one of you wants to move out, you’ll first need to check which type of tenancy you have. You can check what tenancy you have with Shelter’s tenancy checker.
How do I create a cohabitation agreement for my situation?

Seeking Legal Guidance with Contend

Navigating the complexities of matrimonial home rights and the legal differences between marriage and cohabitation can be overwhelming. That’s where Contend comes in. Our AI legal experts are trained to provide clear, customized guidance tailored to your situation. Chat with our AI legal assistant, and get the answers you need in 5 minutes or less. With Contend, you’re not alone. We’re here to help you understand your rights and options, offering support you can trust.

How do matrimonial home rights apply to my living situation?


Understanding your rights regarding the matrimonial home is crucial during the difficult time of a relationship breakdown. Whether you’re married, in a civil partnership, or cohabiting, knowing where you stand legally can provide some peace of mind. Remember, each situation is unique, and seeking personalized legal advice is always recommended. With Contend, getting the legal guidance you need has never been easier. Chat with our legal experts today and take the first step towards securing your future.

How do my rights to the matrimonial home change during a separation?

Take Action with Contend

Don’t let legal uncertainties add to the stress of a separation. Contend is here to offer the support and guidance you need to navigate your matrimonial home rights confidently. Chat now with our legal expert and discover how easy it is to get the answers and assistance you deserve.

For more info, check out some of our related articles:

Check if Contend can help you with your issue

Solve your legal question quickly
and easily with Contend.

This material is for general information only and does not constitute
tax, legal or any other form of advice. You should not rely on any
information contained herein to make (or refrain from making) any
decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your
own particular situation. Contend Inc is not regulated by the
Solicitor’s Regulation Authority.