United Kingdom flag

Getting married is a significant milestone, filled with excitement, planning, and a touch of legal formalities. One of the unique traditions in the UK, which often piques interest and curiosity, is the reading of wedding banns. Whether you’re a bride-to-be, a hopeful groom, or simply love learning about wedding customs, this comprehensive guide will walk you through everything you need to know about wedding banns reading in the UK.

What Are Wedding Banns?

Wedding banns are a centuries-old tradition, deeply rooted in the Christian Church, particularly within the Church of England. They are public announcements made in the church, declaring the intention of two people to marry. The primary purpose of banns is to provide an opportunity for anyone to raise a legal objection to the marriage, ensuring there are no lawful impediments to the union.

Do I need to publish wedding banns for my marriage?

The Process of Reading Wedding Banns

When and Where Are Banns Read?

Banns are read during the main service in the parish church of each person getting married for three consecutive Sundays before the wedding. This tradition allows the congregation to be part of the couple’s journey to marriage and offers a chance to voice any concerns about the legalities of the union.

How to Arrange for Banns to Be Read

To have your banns read, you’ll need to visit your local parish church and speak with the vicar. You’ll provide details about yourselves and your upcoming wedding. The vicar will then schedule the reading of your banns on the appropriate dates. It’s essential to plan this well in advance, as the reading must be completed within a specific timeframe before your wedding day.

Pre-nuptial and post-nuptial agreements can be legally binding unless considered to be unfair by the court. You should get advice from a solicitor before you make an agreement. You can find a solicitor on the Resolution website.

What if someone objects during the reading of our banns?
Family: wedding banns reading

Legal Requirements and Considerations

Who Needs to Have Banns Read?

Couples planning to marry in the Church of England or a Church in Wales where at least one person is a member of the parish are required to have banns read. If you’re marrying outside your parish or in a different denomination, different rules may apply, such as obtaining a Common Licence or a Superintendent Registrar’s Certificate.

What If There’s an Objection?

While rare, objections to a marriage can be raised during the reading of banns. Legitimate reasons include one party being already married or the couple being too closely related. If an objection is raised, the wedding cannot proceed until the issue is resolved.

You can check which type of documents you need to bring with you on GOV.UK.

What should I do if an objection is raised during my banns?

Alternatives to Banns Reading

For those marrying outside their parish, in a non-Anglican church, or abroad, alternatives to banns reading include obtaining a Common Licence or a Superintendent Registrar’s Certificate. These options also apply to those who prefer not to have their banns read publicly.

If you want to get married in local authority approved premises you should obtain a list of premises from the local town hall. In England and Wales, you can search for approved premises on the GOV.UK.

How do I get a Common Licence or a Superintendent Registrar’s Certificate?

Making It Personal and Meaningful

While the reading of banns is a legal requirement, it’s also an opportunity to make your upcoming marriage known within your community. Attending the services when your banns are read can be a special moment, symbolizing the support of your family, friends, and church community.

How do I ensure my banns are read correctly for my wedding?

How Contend Can Help

At Contend, we understand that navigating the legal aspects of getting married, such as the reading of wedding banns, can be daunting. Our AI legal experts are here to provide guidance and support, ensuring you understand every step of the process. Chat with our AI legal assistant today for clear answers to your legal questions about getting married, all in 5 minutes or less.

You can pay a fee to get a certified copy of your marriage certificate as it appears on the register. You can pay further fees for additional copies of your marriage certificate. To find out details of the fees, contact your local Register Office on GOV.UK.

What are the legal steps to get a certified copy of my marriage certificate?

Conclusion: Embracing Tradition with Confidence

The reading of wedding banns is a beautiful tradition that connects the past with the present, inviting your community to be part of your journey to marriage. By understanding the process, requirements, and the significance behind banns, you can embrace this tradition with confidence and joy.

Remember, whether you’re dealing with the legalities of wedding banns or any other legal aspect of getting married in the UK, Contend is here to provide you with the legal guidance and support you need. Let us help you navigate these waters, ensuring your path to the altar is as smooth and joyful as possible. Chat with our legal expert today and take the first step towards a stress-free journey to saying “I do.”

For more info, check out some of our related articles:

Check if Contend can help you with your issue

Solve your legal question quickly
and easily with Contend.

This material is for general information only and does not constitute
tax, legal or any other form of advice. You should not rely on any
information contained herein to make (or refrain from making) any
decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your
own particular situation. Contend Inc is not regulated by the
Solicitor’s Regulation Authority.